Monday 14 January 2013

Forgive them


And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not charge them with this sin." And when he had said this, he fell asleep. – Acts 7.59-60

Eventually someone was going to pay the ultimate price for their faith in Christ and for proclaiming His name. As far as we know Stephen was the first to pay that price.

Being a martyr might sound all glorious and great and all that, but to be honest it would be scary. I am not so sure that I am cut out to be a martyr. I would hope and pray that I would have the faith and trust to do it, but I guess I can't know unless I am called on to die for my faith.

Stephen was called on to do so and he gave us the perfect pattern of what a martyr should be like.

The words of the song we saw yesterday continue:

'As the stones fell on him beating out his life
Stephen knew he'd soon be through with all toil and strife
So much like the Master with a heart so true
He prayed Lord forgive them for they know not what they do.

Through the gates of glory down the streets of gold
March the hero on the Lord into heaven's fold
When he met the Saviour at the great white throne
I believed he smiled and said Stephen welcome home.

I see Jesus standing at the father's right end
I see Jesus over in the Promised Land
Work is over now I'm coming to be
I see Jesus standing waiting for me.’

Just like Jesus Stephen focused on those people throwing the stones that would kill him. 'Lord, forgive them. Don't hold this against them.

As part of our church series on the life and ministry of Christ I preached on 'The Loving Christ' yesterday. One of the things that really stuck out to me is how Jesus loved His enemies and how He challenged us to do the same.

Stephen is a perfect example of the kind of love that Jesus showed for His enemies and that His followers are to show to their enemies. We can get angry and upset and even vengeful for far less that our being stoned to death.

May God give each of us a Stephen-like capacity to love others, including those who are ‘out to get us.’ 

No comments: