Sunday 13 January 2013

I see Jesus


But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, "Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" – Acts 7.56

Whenever I see this verse my mind goes back about 35 years when Mary and I were at Tennessee Temple University. I don’t know if Ron Comfort still sings when he is conducting revivals, but he did back then. I can still hear that unique voice of his singing:

‘Once a man named Stephen preached about the Lord
Folks were saved then folks were healed as they heard his word
Satan did not like it soon he had his crowd
And as he was tried they heard Stephen cried aloud.

I see Jesus standing at the father's right end
I see Jesus over in the Promised Land
Work is over now I'm coming to be
I see Jesus standing waiting for me.'

I was still a young Christian when I first heard this song. I think it inspired me to first study the story of Stephen's stoning. I didn't realise then just what it meant that Stephen saw the heavens opened and Jesus at God's right hand. Stephen did not focus on the stones raining down on His head. He could have, but he chose to look heaven to the Author and Finisher of His faith.

This is why Stephen had the face of an angel. He was ignoring the present, the stones falling down on him, and the ridicule of the crowd. Instead he was looking heavenward into the face of Jesus.

Lord, give me a Stephen-like heart that choose to see You high and lifted up no matter what is going on here. 

No comments: