Tuesday 1 January 2013

Jesus is my Cornerstone


let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. This is the Stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the Chief Cornerstone.' – Acts 4.10-11

Most of the Jews of this time had a basic understanding of the scriptures. Most of them knew the prophecies about Messiah. They all knew about the ‘rejected stone’ that would become the ‘Cornerstone.’ In Matthew 21.42 Jesus quoted Psalm 118.20-23 when He said of Himself – ‘This is the gate of the Lord, through which the righteous shall enter. I will praise You, for You have answered me, and have become my salvation. The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord's doing; It is marvellous in our eyes.’

Peter makes a direct application in his letter to the church later on – ‘To you who believe Jesus is a precious Stone, but to those who don’t believe He is the rejected stone Who became the Cornerstone of the Church.

We still live in a world that rejects the Stone. They really don't want Him.

As we enter a new year we need to decide what our foundation for the year is going to be. The world has rejected Jesus. We need to be sure that we don’t emulate the world by building our year without Him. We need to lay our foundation in Jesus as our precious cornerstone for 2013, and then build throughout the year on that foundation.

I remember a song called ‘Jesus is the Cornerstone’ from several years ago. I think maybe its words are a great reminder for this new year:

(Words & Music by Lari Goss)

Jesus is the Cornerstone,
He came for sinners to atone;
Tho' rejected by His own,
He became the Cornerstone.

O Jesus is the Cornerstone.

When I am by trial oppressed,
On the Stone I am at rest;
When the seeds of truth are sown,
He remains the Cornerstone.

Jesus is the Cornerstone.

O Rock of Ages oh cleft for me,
Oh let me hide myself in Thee;
O Rock of Ages so secure,
And for all time it shall endure;
Til the children reach their home,
He remains the Cornerstone.

Till the breaking of the dawn,
Oh til all footsteps have ceased to roam;
Ever let the truth be known,
That Jesus is the Cornerstone.

Jesus is the Cornerstone.

Till the breaking of the dawn,
Oh til all footsteps have ceased to roam;
Ever let His truth be known,
That Jesus is the Cornerstone.

My Jesus is the Cornerstone!

1 comment:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

I think this song is from more than "several" years ago! :)
A google search for these lyrics brought your blog forward. Although the newer "Cornerstone" by Hillsong is an interesting attempt to give the old Solid Rock lyrics a fresh presentation, I found myself describing the old hymn and the power of the lyrics for the old Cornerstone to my daughter last night. It must go back to the 60's or 70's at least, I would guess! The passage of time is an awesome thing!