Tuesday 8 January 2013

They were counted worthy…and did not quit




And daily in the temple, and in every house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ. So they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name. – Acts 5.41-42

We live in a world of whingers and complainers and criers and moaners. I know because I are one.

I don’t like it when things don’t go my way. I don’t like it when people don’t like me. I don’t like it when people don’t listen to me. I don’t like it when people mock my beliefs or make fun of me because I am a Christian. I don’t like it when people call me names.

But when I read about these early apostles, and when I read about those persecuted through the years, and I read about those suffering persecution today I am shamed at my selfishness.

These guys just didn't stop. They preached in the temple and they preached in people's homes.

And while they were doing this, instead of complaint about how bad they had it they rejoiced that they were considered worthy to suffer for Christ.

The church in the free and nonpersecuted west, including me, hates the thought of suffering. I don't want to suffer. Sometimes we can hate the idea of suffering so much that we can become focused on making sure that our liberties and freedoms and rights are not attacked.

Suffering for Christ is not something to be dreaded. It is something to be treasured. Are we worthy to suffer shame for His name? Are we so afraid of suffering that we don't continue to 'teach and preach Christ?'

No comments: