Friday 4 January 2013

We cannot shut up


So they called them and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, "Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you more than to God, you judge. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard." – Acts 4.18-20

When the disciples were released they were told that they were forbidden to talk about Jesus any more or face further prosecution. That wuold have been, in anybody's mind, reason enough to quit. 'If we get thrown in jail, what is going to to preach the gospel.' We will just go underground, be quiet, live godly lives, and maybe people will get saved that way.'

Who could argue with that line of reasoning?  
 
When I read this passage the Holy Spirit always smites my heart. I have to tell you that it doesn't take a threa to jail to shut me up sometimes. I can be stopped by a fear of rejection, of mocking, or just not fitting in. Sad, isn't it?

But look what these guys said. 'You do what you need to do.  But we can’t keep quiet about Jesus.’

Those words hit me hard. These guys could not be shut up and I can hardly speak up.

Something ain’t right there. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen - to shut up is to shut other's out