Tuesday 26 February 2013

Boiling over in spirit


Now a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man and mighty in the Scriptures, came to Ephesus. This man had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things of the Lord, though he knew only the baptism of John. - Acts 18.24-25

Apollos is one of those largely unknown believers who catch our eye as we read through the book of Acts. We kind of see him on the second tier, and that is a shame because he is a pretty awesome guy.

Before he was even fully instructed we see that he was:

Eloquent
Mighty in the Scriptures
Fervent in spirit
A good teacher
Bold in his speech

All of these would be great things to talk about. But I especially like the phrase ‘fervent in spirit.’ That word ‘fervent’ is the root word for our word ‘zealous,’ but even that doesn’t really capture the meaning. ‘The word means ‘hot and boiling over.’

I have to say that I love serving the Lord. I love the people God has called us to serve. I try to be faithful. I do my best at teaching the word. I pray for boldness. While study and prepare and pray for strength in the pulpit I could not be accused of being eloquent or mighty in the Scriptures.

But one thing is certain.  I really don't sense the kind of boiling over fervency that Apollos had in my own life.

I need that fervour right now. Please Father, give me that boiling over zeal as I strive to serve You. Give me a spirit like Apollos. 

No comments: