Friday 8 February 2013

How God had opened the door


Now when they had come and gathered the church together, they reported all that God had done with them, and that He had opened the door of faith to the Gentiles.  – Acts 14.27

I think it is kind of 'neat' to read about the early church and what went on. I like to compare and contrast it to what goes on today. When Paul and Barnabas finished their first mission's trip they made their way back to Antioch. The church which had commissioned them and sent them on their way was there. The church gathered together to hear how things had gone.

So the church gathered together to hear their report. I like how we read the church was gathered together instead of 'everyone came to church.' I know it is just a technicality, but I think it is important that we remember this, we don't really 'go to church.' Instead 'the church gathers together' to fellowship and worship.

But, back to the main topic.

The men reported what God and done and how He had opened the door of the gospel. The lesson is simple – God does the work, all we have to do is to be obedient to Him.

I really like that. God works through us; all we have to do is obey Him. As long as I am obedient to the rest is up to Him.

The problem when we either don’t obey or we try to get in the way.

May we all let God do His work in our lives as we obey Him. 

No comments: