Monday 4 February 2013

They grew bold


But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy; and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul. Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, "It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles. – Acts 13.45-46

I am always amazed by Paul and Barnabas. Their courage is simply amazing. As they preached great numbers began to follow them and turn to Christ. When the Jews saw the big crowds they were jealous and became angry. They contradicted them. They blasphemed. They did all they could do to oppose them.

I wonder what I would have done. I wonder if I would even have been preaching to start with. I wish I knew that I would have done it, but I just don't know. I wonder even more what I would have done if I was doing it, and then this kind of opposition arose.

But look what they did. They ‘grew bold’ and spoke to the people. ‘It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you, but you reject it and judge yourselves unworthy of salvation.’

These verses really get to me. Though I try to share my faith and to tell others about Christ and the glorious gospel I am far too easily put off by scary situations.

But these guys seemed to thrive. They needed boldness. It did not just happen. We know that because Paul once asked the church to pray for his boldness.

I have to ask myself where my boldness is in those situations.

Maybe I can ask anyone reading this to pray with me for my own boldness in those tough situations. 

No comments: