Monday 18 March 2013

Trust God and don't quit


Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.” -Acts 26.22-23

I like stories of faithfulness and stick-to-it-iveness. I enjoy reading about missionaries like William Carey for that reason. I like what Patrick said when thought leaving his ministry in Ireland. ‘'I could wish to leave them to go to Britain. I would willingly do this, and am prepared for this, as if to visit my home country and my parents. Not only that, but I would like to go to Gaul to visit the brothers and to see the faces of the saints of my Lord. God knows what I would dearly like to do. But I am bound in the Spirit, who assures me that if I were to do this, I would be held guilty. And I fear, also, to lose the work which I began – not so much I as Christ the Lord, who told me to come here to be with these people for the rest of my life. May the Lord will it, and protect me from every wrong path, so that I do not sin before him.'

I have always admired testimonies like that.

Paul had that kind of testimony like that. While in his ministry he was beaten, left for dead, shipwrecked, arrested, and opposed. We know from 2 Corinthians that he got discouraged and was tempted to quit.

And yet here he was able to say ‘having obtained help from God to this day I stand.’

And that really says it all. Being a real success in any service for God is simply a better of relying on Him and staying at the task. Trust God and don’t quit.

The great thing is that it doesn’t take a superstar to do that. Anybody can trust God and don’t quit if we rely on His help.

May we all have a Paul-like spirit. Trust God’s to help us and just don’t quit. 

No comments: