Sunday 28 April 2013

Just as you did before, but...


I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness. – Romans 6.19
  
This and interesting verse and a concept that I think we really need to grasp. It speaks of what we used to serve, how we served it, what we are supposed to serve now, and how.

Formerly, before salvation, we all of our faculties were tools and uncleanness and lawlessness. That lawlessness led to more lawlessness in a seemingly never ending downward spiral. It was a total and absolute dedication.

Paul says he used human terms here because his readers were spiritually weak. He was trying to get it over to them just how important this new life was. He wanted them to know how serious it was that they realise that they were no longer bound to sin and lawlessness, but no were bound to righteousness which leads to holy living.

To parrowphrase this concept let me put it this way – ‘You need to serve righteousness with the same fervency and dedication with which you used to serve sin.’

I have to wonder about my fervency for Christ sometimes. To what do I give my whole body, mind, and soul now? What gets me distracted from my service?

Do I serve righteousness and seek holiness with the same intensity I serve me? 

No comments: