Thursday 11 April 2013

Unstaggering faith


And not being weak in faith, he [Abraham] did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb. He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness." – Romans 4.19-22

Unwavering faith. What a challenge that is. Just yesterday I was speaking and praying with a dear new Christian friend about some of the challenges her family is facing at the moment. It is in times like that when our faith is challenged and wears tempting to waver. What a joy it was to watch this friend and see faith entrenched instead of wavering as we prayed together.

Here we see Abraham set up as an example of unwavering faith. He was old, really old, about 100 years old. Sarah his wife was about 90. But God promised them that they would have a son.

And yet, because he was not weak of faith he did not waver. The wonderful old King James says ‘he staggered not at the promise.’

Abraham was not staggered at this impossible promise. Instead he was strengthened in faith, gave glory to God, and was fully convinced that God was able to do whatever He promised.

Wow! All I can say is ‘wow!’ Abraham was not staggered at the promise of God. I look at that and remember how many times I am staggered at God’s promises. How many times has something come up in my life that just knocks me back and causes me to stagger in my Christian life? It is in the most impossible times to trust that God is most glorified when we do trust.

I am going to close with the marvellous worlds of Andrew Peterson in his song ‘Canaan Bound.’ The God wore allowed barren Sarah to bear a son is the same God who promised to provide all my needs in Christ. He is the same God who says that He knows what I need. He is the same God who said that when we are seeking the Kingdom of God He will take care of all the rest. How often does my weak faith cause me to stumble? 

May God give me, like Abraham, unstaggering faith.

‘Long after we are dead and gone
A thousand years our tale be sung
How faith compelled and bore us on
How barren Sarah bore a son
So come to Canaan, come’

No comments: