Tuesday 9 April 2013

Where is boasting?


…in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also, - Romans 3.25-29

I think that the tendency to boast and brag is somewhere in all of us. We all like to make ourselves look good.  About two years ago I starred walking for health and to lose weight. I keep track of my mileage on an app on my phone. I stared out with modest goals, but they keep getting bigger. I find myself sometimes now extending my distances not so much for health's sake, but to be able to tell everyone how far I have walked and hear them say 'Wow, Roger, that is really good!'

It is easy enough to carry that same problem over into spiritual matters. We can forget that there is nothing just in us - nothing. There is not one of us righteous - no not one. All of our 'justness ' and righteousness and justification comes only from the God who is 'just and he justifier of the man who has  faith in Christ.'

So then what right or cause does anyone have to boast in is spirituality? 'I don't smoke and I don't chew and I don't run with them that do' type mottoes really have no place in the body. It reminds of the Pharisee who said 'I thank God that I am not like one of the publicans. I give, I pray, I fast, and I really am okay ' On the other hand we have the publican who said 'God be merciful to me a sinner.'

I have probably mentioned the great 1905 hymn by James Grey before. I love the way it is worded. There is nothing to brag about when we truly remember that we are only sinners saved by God’s grace.


Naught have I gotten but what I received;
Grace hath bestowed it since I have believed;
Boasting excluded, pride I abase;
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Only a sinner, saved by grace!
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory—
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

No comments: