Monday 20 May 2013

Making intercession


Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. – Romans 8.33-34

Most of us are pretty familiar with what Jesus has already done and what He is going to do. We know He is he Creator. We know He came to earth as a baby. We know that He preached and taught and did miracles. We know that He died on he cross to pay the penalty for our sins. We know He was buried. We know He rose again on the third day. We know He ascended into heaven. We know one day He is coming back for us.

But what is He doing now? We know He has gone to prepare a place for us and we look forward to dwelling there with Him.

But Jesus is also at the right hand of God interceding for me against all those who would be a charge against me. He intercedes against all who would try to condemn me. He is my advocate, my lawyer, my solicitor, my defence attorney.

All possible charges against me are useless. They all fall short because Jesus advocates for me. Not only is He my advocate, He covers those sins so that no one hold them to my account.

One of the contributors to the classic prayer devotional guide 'The Valley of Vision' put it this way.

My trespasses are known in the heavens,
and there Christ is gone also,
my Advocate with the Father,
my propitiation for sins,
and I hear his word of peace.

Jesus is today interceding for me. Therefore I have peace with Him and peace in my heart. What better advocate could I want? 

No comments: