Wednesday 8 May 2013

Sons of God


For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. – Romans 8.14

I hope the next couple of days are not too repetitive, but I don't want to miss any aspect of the wonderful truth of our sonship.

‘Sons of God’ of course refers to all children of God. Those who are led by the Spirit are God’s children. In another place Jesus said ‘my sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow Me.’ It is a great blessing to be called one of His sheep, but here we are called His children.

I am challenged by this truth. I was certainly not God's child by birth. I was born a child of sin and the flesh. I was born at enmity with God. I had not rights of a child of God.

But God made me His child when I put my faith in Him. The proof that I am His child is when I am led by His Spirit.

In another place Jesus referred to us as His sheep. 'My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.' Just being one of His sheep would have been a blessing, but We are also His children. What an amazing truth.

The question I have to ask myself is if I walk like His child. John described it this way ' Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.'

As His children we are to reflect our parentage in holiness and purity.

We are going to fail now - but one day we are going to be like Him. What a wonderful hope that gives us! 

No comments: