Friday 3 May 2013

The struggle


For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do…Romans 7.15ff

Wouldn’t it be great if at salvation the battle was over and we could just go on with godly living? How wonderful it would be if we could get saved and then live a sanctified and holy life without battles or struggles. Since sin has no power over us everything should be great, right?

Then why doesn't it work? Why do we, like Paul, do the things we don't want to do and not do the things we do want to do?

We all know how that feels. Despite all the best determinations to avoid sin and temptation we mess up. Despite all the best intentions to do right we fall short.

It is a constant running battle. On one hand the flesh cries out for attention, on the other hand the Spirit draws us to Him.

You know the old image of a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other? You know the one, someone is deciding whether to do right or wrong and the devil says ‘do it’ and the angel says ‘no, be good.’ While that is certainly not great theology the image is not that far off.

Let’s say for example it is tax time. There is that chunk of cash income we received along the way. Report it or not?

The flesh tells us ‘don’t worry about it. No one will ever know. Keep it, you can even use it for God if you want.’

On the other hand the Spirit reminds us ‘Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s…render therefore to all their due; taxes to whom taxes are due…’

And what do we do? Do we do what we know we should, or not?

That same illustration could be applied to so many situations of our daily life. Sure, I am saved. Sin has no power over me. I am indeed dead to the power of sin. And yet, it still draws me because I still have to live in this body of flesh.

It’s a real conundrum, but there is an answer! We’ll see that, Lord willing, tomorrow. 

No comments: