Thursday 30 May 2013

Whosoever

For "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." – Romans 10.13

There are a lot of words that I associate with salvation that I love. Words like free, grace, mercy, faith, without works, gift, justified, glorified, redeemed, and many others spring to mind.

Yet, with all of those wonderful words something is missing. It is not the whole package. There is a word that takes vague theology and makes it real, personal, and applicable. All of those things are great, but they mean nothing unless they mean something to us.

To whom do all those words apply?

And that is where another word comes in – ‘whoever.’ Or as, as the King James translation put it, ‘whosever.’

‘Whoseover’ makes it all mean something. Who can have all the blessings of salvation? The answer is simple – anyone. Rich and poor, good and bad, popular or unknown, prince or pauper, the most upright acting person alive or the those considered the ‘dregs of society,’ saint or sinner, anyone, whosoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

The best thing about ‘whosoever’ is that whoever means me.

I can’t help including the great old song by James McConnell when I read those words. Enjoy and be blessed.

I am happy today, and the sun shines bright,
The clouds have been rolled away;
For the Saviour said, whosoever will
May come with Him to stay.

Refrain:
“Whosoever” surely meaneth me,
Surely meaneth me, oh, surely meaneth me;
“Whosoever” surely meaneth me,
“Whosoever” meaneth me.

All my hopes have been raised, oh, His Name be praised,
His glory has filled my soul;
I’ve been lifted up, and from sin set free,
His blood has made me whole.

Oh, what wonderful love, oh, what grace divine,
That Jesus should die for me;
I was lost in sin, for the world I pined,

But now I am set free.

No comments: