Tuesday 18 June 2013

Associate with the humble

Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion. – Romans 12.16

Everyone likes to be somebody. If we can't be somebody we like to know someone who is somebody. It is always nice to be noticed and be associated with one of those ‘somebodies.’

The bad thing is that we can allow that desire to be a ‘somebody’ influence our Christian lives. Over the last 100 or so years the church in America and some other part some other parts of the West have enjoyed that. Christian leaders have courted presidents, premiers, prime ministers, and various other politicians. In some parts of the America politicians are forced to cosy up to the church for their political gain. 

I am not so sure that is what the Lord had in mind when He established His church. Here, as Paul is talking about the unity that comes with rejoicing and weeping with each other he uses mentions the oft used phrase ‘be of the same mind toward one another’ and then goes on to make another application.

Don’t set your mind on high things. We don’t need the places of worldly power and influence. Being ‘somebody’ should be the last thing on our mind because we are already somebody in Christ.

I like what he writes next – ‘associate with the humble.’ I don’t think my parrowphrase of this passage does it any disservice – ‘hang around with the regular folk.’

We don’t need to hobnob with the rich and famous. We don’t need to worry about partying with the politicians. We ought to be content to hang around with the common people – folks like you and me.

I love that. I love being around regular people. It seems like Jesus did as well.


I won’t even start with the last phrase here – ‘don’t be wise in your own opinion.’ I think I’ll grab that one the next time through in 4-5 years.  

No comments: