Friday 14 June 2013

Lazy?

not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; - Romans 12.11

The practical programme for living the sacrificed life just continues. This particular verse really nails some thoughts about our day to day service.

It is easy to get down and discouraged in God’s work. When that happens it is easy to slack off and be less than diligent about our service. It is even, believe it or not, possible to get spiritually lazy.

The old King James used an interesting phrase to start this verse - 'not slothful in business.' While to our ears this seems to mean that we need to be busy in our business dealings to the 17th century reader it had a differed, but very clear meaning. The picture is really clear though – don’t be like a sloth when it comes to things that should be keeping you busy.’

We can put that pretty bluntly – stop being lazy in the work you should be diligent about. Instead be fervent (like a boiling pot of water) in your service for the Lord.

I know most of those reading this are believers. I suspect most, like me, are truly striving to serve the Lord. I would guess that serving the Lord is high on our priority list.

But when I read this verse I wonder just how much our service, or maybe it’s just my service, compares to this standard.

Not letting my diligence lag? Fervent in spirit? Can I (we) honestly look at our service and say it meets that standard.


Powerful challenge here today. 

No comments: