Saturday 1 June 2013

Sparing not the branches

Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.  – Romans 11.20-21

I like it when I come across a passage I have never noticed before. It is amazing after all these years that we still discover new gems and nuggets.

I mentioned a few days ago that last week the pope announced that anyone, including atheists, who do good works will go to heaven. Now I treasure my atheist friends. The ones I know seem to be good people who love their families and care about society. I believe that even when we disagree vehemently they want what I best for their family and friends and society in general.

But, saying that, the pope is still wrong. It seems that he has since backtracked a bit, but he still claims that as long as one is a part of his church they are safe. He is still wrong. He seems like a lovely like and an example of grace and humility, but he is just wrong on this.

And this passage makes it clear.

If anyone could get a pass to salvation it would be the Jews, God’s chosen people.

But even God's chosen people, the Jews, the natural branches were not spared. They were broken off because of unbelief. That means that anyone who does not believe is broken off from eternal life.

No race, no nations no religion, no denomination will be spared. Unbelief break everyone off from eternal life. Only standing in faith will give eternal life.

No comments: