Saturday 20 July 2013

A serving couple

Greet Priscilla and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their own necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. – Romans 16.3-4

Priscilla and Aquila were quite a couple. We see them several times in the Scriptures. They helped Apollos get his spiritual feet on the ground. A local church met in their home. They were part of Paul’s missionary team.  

I have always been interested in the great couple. As far a I know we never read about Priscila without Aquila or vice-versa. It is always Priscilla and Aquila. They sound like the kind of couple I would love to meet.

But here is, well frankly, am awesome statement about them. 'They risked their necks for my life.' It appears that this phrase is an old Greek phrase that meant lay out one’s neck to the executioner. Somewhere along the way, or maybe on a regular basis, Priscilla and Aquila literally risked their lives for Paul.

They must have had a tremendous impact. Paul says that not only he gave thanks, but all the Gentile churches did as well.

There is little as effective as a godly, serving Christian couple. When God draws to together into His service their impact is more than doubled. I can think of several dear godly couples who remind me of Priscilla and Aquila. Their impact on our lives cannot be over emphasised.


May God work in Mary and my lives to make us even a hint of the kind of couple Priscilla and Aquila were. 

No comments: