Saturday 13 July 2013

Abounding in hope

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. – Romans 15.13

I like reading about hope. Sometimes things really seem a bit hope-less so I like to be reminded that there is hope, real hope, hope that really works, and hope the really matters.

I think I am going to develop a sermon on this verse. It says a lot about hope all packed in just a few words. Here's my rough idea for an outline.

The source of hope - The God of hope
The content of hope - Joy and peace
The access to hope - By believing
The result of hope - Abounding
The power of hope - The Holy Spirit

When I read this I am glad that God calls Himself the very God of hope
I am grateful that true hope brings joy and peace.
I am glad that all I have to do to access that hope is to believe.
I am encouraged that my hope is constantly empowered by the Holy Spirit.

But wait, I forgot one. I am glad for the word 'abound.' I am glad that I don't just get a little hope or even enough hope. I am glad that my hope is more than sufficient. It is overflowing. It is hope with left-over hope. It is 'super abounding hope.'

Praise God for super abounding hope in these dark and troublesome days.

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' bold and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest from, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sad. 

No comments: