Saturday 6 July 2013

Judge this

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way. I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; - Romans 14.13-16
  
So Paul continues in the same vein of thought. Lets stop being so concerned about judging each other. But if have to judge something, lets judge that we will never put a stumbling block in the path of another.

I like the way the KJV translates this. The translators used the same English word used to translate the same Greek word when it said to stop judging each other, but instead to judge ourselves to stop being a stumbling block.

In other words, instead of judging each other we need to judge our own actions in dealing with others. And we need to make sure that we don't cause them to stumble in their Christian walk.

That is powerful statements. We can have all the personal preferences we want. We can make our choices on the non-essentials. But one thing we don't have, we don't have the right to use our preferences to cause someone to stumble.

I need to be sure to examine what I do to make sure that it does not. If I grieve him by insisting on my way I am not acting in love. I should never destroy my brother because of something silly. Because when I do, the good thing I think I am doing becomes evil.

God give us the wisdom the avoid the stumbling blocks that might destroy another. 

No comments: