Thursday 1 August 2013

Nothing but Jesus



And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.  – 1 Corinthians 2.1-2

Paul regularly focuses on the importance of avoiding distractions. The Holy Spirit obviously knew that the potential to get distracted would only get worse and worse as time went by and there was more and more to distract us.

Corinth was a wicked city. It was a really, really wicked city. Paul did not go to Corinth however to try and bring about social reform. He did not to try to get taxes lowered or fight for civil liberties or small government or anything like that.

Paul didn’t try to persuade the Corinthians using Greek logic or human reasoning. He didn’t try to reason them to Christ.

Paul determined to just focus on Christ. He lived and breathed Jesus. The crucified Christ consumed him.

I am reminded of what is called ‘St Patrick’s Breastplate’ when I read this. I don’t know if it has anything at all to do with Patrick, but I like the focus.

There are various versions. The one we have on our wall puts it this way:

Christ with me
Christ before me
Christ behind me
Christ below me
Christ within me
Christ at my right hand
Christ at my left hand
Christ in every ear that hears me
Christ in every eye that sees me
Christ in every mouth that speaks of me
Christ in every heart that thinks of me


Does Christ permeate my life like this? Can any of us truly sing ‘Jesus, all for Jesus?’ 

I pray for Paul's determination in my life. 


No comments: