Friday 6 September 2013

Do all to the glory of God

Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. – 1 Corinthians 10.31

Now Paul comes right to the crux of the matter. There is a determining factor. There is a basic guideline. 

Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 

There it is. Do our actions and attitudes glorify God? 

In context the question is whether or not a Christian can eat meat or not eat meat sacrificed to idols and still glorify God, but it of course the passage is dealing with any kind of questionable action that might offend another. 

I think this is a matter of attitude. If I insist on an action to prove that I am right or that I have a right to do it am I really glorifying God? If I insist that a brother keep to my abiblical choices and preference can God really be glorified? 

Too often these kinds of situations are based on glorifying self. That is why we are warned above about 'thinking we stand.' 

This is really not complicated. Do I strive to goofy God in everything I do? His is way and will and purpose my goal? Or do I have to be the one who gets the glory? 

The whole earth is the Lord's. My every decision should glorify the creator of heaven and earth. How many conflicts and offences could be solved if we simply united together to glorify God in every potential comflict? 

Whatever we do let's be sure that our mutual purpose is that God be glorified. 

No comments: