Sunday 15 September 2013

Just be there

And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. - 1 Corinthians 12:26

How many of us have ever gone through a trial alone? How many of us have ever had a great victory and had no one to celebrate it with? 

I don't know about anyone else, but I am a person who lies to be with people. I don't like to go trough things alone. When I hurt I want to someone to hug. When I have a victory I want someone to high five. 

If we truly are a body like we claim eye church should always be that someone who is there. One member of our body cannot be in pain without it affecting all of me. One part cannot have pleasure without the whole body having pleasure. We can't distance one part of our body from the rest. 

I wish there was some deep theology or something pithy and quaint or memorable that I could say here, but his is really pretty simple - we need each other in our successes and in our failures. We need to be there for each other in our ups and our downs. We need to cry with the tearful and celebrate with the joyful. 

I read a book years ago titled We Really Do Need Each Other. And the truth is we do, both in the good times and the bad times. 

What's the lesson for today? Just be there - full stop. 

No comments: