Wednesday 4 September 2013

Let no one seek his own

All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being. – 1 Corinthians 10.23-24

Paul goes back to his theme here that our Christian walk is not about us. He reminds his reader that all things are lawful, but not everything is helpful. We have all the freedom we want, but our lives should not be about 'whatever we want.'

Then he puts it plainly just in case we missed it - 'let no one seek his own, but each one other's well being.'

That counsel flies in the face of what the world says. All the advertising campaigns and media blitzes and philosophies of life say the same basic thing, 'ya gotta look out for number one.' God certainly throws a spanner in the works of human philosophy.

The problem is that we get caught in the same trap. I need to look out for me because no one else will!

But is we were doing it right we would all be looking out for each other. The context here is within the church and we were told not that long ago that we are not our own. We are bought with a price; therefore we have no right to be looking out for ourselves. If we all did right everyone would be watched out for.

It really is time to stop looking at what is best for me. It really is time to set my focus on others.

‘Others Lord, yes others, let this my motto be. Help me to live for others, that I might live like thee.’


Think about it. Jesus gave all for us. What are we giving for others? 

No comments: