Thursday 3 October 2013

Concerning the collection

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come. – 1 Corinthians 16.1-3

We don't read a whole lot about what we now call 'the offering' at church. There are mentions about giving and collections and gifts and all that, but not a whole lot about the offering that is taken on Sunday morning at church. 

Why do we do it? What is the purpose? What is the main reason for an offering? 

We have all kinds of reasons for offerings. We need money to rent or buy a building. We need to buy supplies. We need to pay the pastor and support missionaries and so many things. 

But at the root of this offering is the collection 'for the saints.' 

I realise we have to pay bills and such. I realise we have expenses. But how often do we take a collection 'for the saints?' I have heard of collections for a new chandelier or a new organ or for the family centre or to send the pastor to Hawaii or on a cruise, or whatever the cae may be. 

But how often is there a collection for the saints?

From what I read it seems that far from rare, this was the norm in the early church. The money that was collected was to care for the parts of the body who are suffering. 

When I see images of churches in all their splendour and I see churches meeting in leaking shanties or struggling to pay the rent for a community hall I wonder if we really have it right. When I see crowds of Chrisitans packing the best restaurants after church and images of Christians struggling to but their daily bread I wonder if this can really be God's will. 

Perhaps we need think and pray and consider what Paul says concerning the collection for the saints. 

No comments: