Thursday 31 October 2013

This old tent

For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. – 2 Corinthians 5.1

'This world is not my home, I'm just apassing through. My treasures are laid out up there beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's open door. And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.' 

I am not going to vouch for all the theology in that old chorus, but there is a valid point.  There is a lot more than where we are living now. Our earthly being is just like living in a tent. One day the tent will be taken down and folded away. 

But that is when the good part starts. One of the first Bible studies I remember going to was back in about 1975. The person leading the study talked about this passage and  I still remember it. I remember thinking about the contrast between our temporary tent and the permanent home God has for us in heaven. 

I never would have even thought about forty years down the road, but here I am. I'm still living in the same old tent. It's just older and a little more worn out. 

But that doesn't change the fact that this old tent is not going to last forever. Not that I am really ready to move out yet, but know that one day the tent will be folded up and put away for good. One day I get to move into my permanent dwelling place. Jesus has gone to get it ready for me and one day I am going to get to move in. 

As I've said before, what a day that will be!

No comments: