Monday 4 November 2013

All for Jesus

and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. - 2 Corinthians 5:15

One of the many questions on we could ask ourselves on a regular basis is 'what am I living for?' 

I have mentioned before that I like me. I like to please me. I like to do things that benefit me. I like to, well, live for me. 

But I no longer have any right to live for me. Jesus died for me, so I can longer live for me. Now I must live for Him. 

That concept flies in the face of what the world says. The world says it is all about me. If I don't watch out for me no one else will. You gotta take care of number one. 

We live in a success driven society. The church is not exempt. We can accept the idea that success for a minister means he makes a name for himself. Everyone wants the big name or the famous author to pastor their church or come as a guest speaker. 

That can be tough for the vast majority of servants who struggle along and plod through their ministries and nobody even knows they are. But there is something we all need to figure out whether we serve in the biggest mega church or with a handful of believers. It is not about us. We don't live to make a name for ourselves. It makes no difference if no one ever knows our names.  

All that matters is that we serve the one who gave His life for us. 

It is not about pleasing me. It is not about having it my way. It is not about Roger. 

It is all about my Jesus. 

I think this songwriter puts it well: 

Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.
All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.
All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.
For it's only in Your will that I am free,
For it's only in Your will that I am free,
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.

No comments: