Saturday 2 November 2013

The Bema seat

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences. For we do not commend ourselves again to you, but give you opportunity to boast on our behalf, that you may have an answer for those who boast in appearance and not in heart. – 2 Corinthians 5.10-12

I have to admit from the very start - I don't fully understand this passage. I am not theologian enough to figure this all out. But here it is, right in the context of talking about being absent from the body and present with the Lord. We must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ to receive rewards based on what we have done.  

Paul uses the same phrase in Romans 14.10 (But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ) when talking about how we deal with each other when we differ on things not covered in scripture. 

I think my confusion comes with this word 'judgement?' When Paul writes here he writes of the Bema. The Bema was a stand at the Isthmian games where the winners of their sports competition were rewarded with a laurel crown. I think the best illustration for us today would be the Olympics winner’s podium. Of purse, like any human illustration, it falls short of perfection to show a Bible truth, but bear with me. 

In the Olympics the winners are rewarded, but all the competitors are honoured. The rewards are greater for some than others. The losers are not beaten or shot or hung. 

All of the judgement for our sin was paid on the cross. We dont have to fear the wrath of a God being poured out on us. 

The previous verse talks about aiming to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord. We are all going to succeed at that at various levels. Since this is the context for the Bema seat I can't help think that pleasing the Lord will be the basis of our rewards, or lack of them. But praise God we will all be there for the closing ceremony. 

I have to tell you though. I'd kinda like to think that I will be pleasing enough to him to be rewarded at the Bema. 

Now, I am not going to try and build any doctrine on this, but so far that is my take on the Bema. 

No comments: