Thursday 5 December 2013

I must continue

Why? Because I do not love you? God knows! But what I do, I will also continue to do, that I may cut off the opportunity from those who desire an opportunity to be regarded just as we are in the things of which they boast. – 2 Corinthians 11.11-12

Apparently Paul was saying some pretty unpopular things. It looks like he is having to defend himself for the things he had said and written. 

Paul's only defence was a simple. 'I have to keep doing what I am doing.' 

A lot of folks would not believe it, but I really hate confrontation. I mean I really, really hate it. It would be so much easier to just ignore error and let it go. 

But Paul had to continue on as he was. There were those in Corinth who were teaching and claiming apostolic authority. The word of God was not finished yet so Gid was speaking through the apostles and some teachers were teaching counter to them. 

Today we have the completed word of God. When someone is in clear Biblical error we need to be willing to confront them, not because we are great or perfect, but because we need to protect each other from going astray. 

Notice the key motivation here. This is the test whether we are giving or receiving a warning. It must be given and taken in love. 

As much as Paul hated confrontation and correction he loved the people too much to stop. So he had to continue on. 

No comments: