Monday 2 December 2013

Not wise

For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12

How do we set our standards of success or failure? How do we measure our spirituality? To what or whom do we compare ourselves? 

I know what my temptations are. I know I find myself constantly comparing myself to others when I try to measure success. I don't think I am not too bad when it comes to comparing my sin to others, I am  under no delusions there. I can't imagine a worse sinner than me. 

My problem comes in the area of being 'successful.' 

Like most people I want to be seen as a success. I want to feel like I have done something. My problem is that I tend to compare myself to others. 

Those who compare themselves to others are not wise. Whether we compare ourselves to how bad or how good we perceive someone else to be we are making a mistake. 

Our only wise comparison is to compare ourselves to the word of God and what Jesus expects out of us. Anything else is foolish. 

No comments: