Sunday 26 January 2014

Sealed and guaranteed

In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. - Ephesians 1:13-14

I realise that I am not the world's greatest theologian. Far from it. I admit I don't get everything. I am quite certain I get a lot wrong. I am looking forward to the day when I get to heaven and I understand all the stuff I don't know now. 

One of the big questions that people deal with is whether or not our salvation is secure. Once we are truly saved are we saved forever, or could we really mess up and have God take it away from it, or just fall away ourselves? 

Here is the record. 

We heard the word of truth
We trusted
We believed
We were sealed with the Spirit of promise
We received the guarantee of our inheritance in the person of the Holy Spirit
We are sealed and guaranteed all the way till our redemption is complete
We are His purchased possession
All this is done to the praise of God's glory

We do three simple things. We hear, we trust, and we believe. God does all the rest. It is His work. 

I am grateful for God's sealing power. I am glad that He seals my salvation and not me. 

I hate to think of what it would be like if I was the one responsible for sealing my future. If did the sealing the sea would have been broken a long, long time ago. 

Praise God for a seal and a guarantee that cannot be broken!

No comments: