Saturday 15 February 2014

Boldness and confidence

according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. – Ephesians 3.11-12

When I think about praying, I mean really think about praying, it can be a scary thing. Who am I to talk to a holy, perfect, just, and righteous God who is the creator and sustainer of the universe?  How can I walk into His throne room and talk to such a God? What gives me the right? 

I don't have any right. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. 

I have no right, but I do have access. Not only that I have bold and confident access. 

What gives us that access? Why can we enter with confidence? How can I do it boldly?

We have that access through Christ. He is the 'captain of our salvation.' On the cross He opened the way of salvation for us, 

But he doesn't only provide access to heaven one day down the road. He provides access to God's throne room to us today. 

Hebrews tells us that because Jesus has been to earth and gone through what man goes through we can have confince and boldness when we go into God's presence. We have that boldness and confidence precisely because we can't do it ourselves. We must know that we are not worthy to enter God's presence. 

But I can enter - because it is not about me. It is about what Christ did in my place. God is God. He is holy. He deserves my respect and my fear and my awe and my reverence. And He hopefully has all that. 

But because it is not my merit. but Christ's, I can boldy adress my wonderful God and Saviour who loved me and gave Himself for me.

No comments: