Friday 7 February 2014

Lifted up

and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. – Ephesians 2.6-7

God not only saved us by His grace, but by that same grace He has lifted us up. I like the fact that we are already lifted up. We don't have to wait until we get to heaven to start enjoying the blessings of salvation. We are already citizens of heaven and have been lifted up while still here in the spiritual darkness of this present world.

What does this mean? I think Habakkuk spells it out clearly for us.

Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls—Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The LORD God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer's feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.

It is easy to get caught up in all the problems and troubles of this world. It is easy to get caught up in it and jay live here among the muck and mire of this sin cursed world.

And in a sense we don't have any choice. But while we have to live in the muck and mire we don't have to wallow in it. We can focus on our heavenly kingdom now. We don't have to wait until later to start enjoying the benefits of heavenly living. It's a matter of attitude. I can get bogged down with the here and now, or I can remember that this world is not my home and that I am just passing through. 

No comments: