Friday 21 March 2014

Don't be drunk with wine

And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, - Ephesians 5.18

I doubt there are a whole lot of topics that are as devisive to the church as the topic of drink. For some reason it stirs passions on both sides. I have chosen to to totally abstain from alcohol. To some that makes me an object of scorn because I am not 'exercising my liberty.' That is one of many views on the subject of drink. This passage always comes up in the debate, But I am not going to that discussion today. I want to address the application of this verse. 

Here Paul talks about what controls our lives. He specifically addresses drunkenness as he says that it will lead to an abandoned or dissolute life. No matter what the debate on drinking alcohol comes up with there is no question that God’s word clearly forbids drunkenness because it leads to debauchery. 

Drunkenness is so bad because it leads to something else being in control of our lives. That is why I quit drinking 1976, long before I developed any kind of conviction. I quit because drink conrolled my life and I couldn't handle that.

I think we can put anything here that contols us. Don't be drunk with power. Don't be drunk with possessions. Don't be drunk with pleasure.

But there is an alternative. Instead of being controlled by drink (or anything else) I can be filled and controlled by the Holy Spirit. 

My problem is that I still dont like to give up control. I still like to be in charge, especially of me. That might be called being drunk with 'self.'

But when we are filled with the Spirit we will live the spirit filled life and there will be no room for being full of self.

Whereas I gave up drink so that it won't control me, I ought to always give up me so that the Spirit can control. 

No comments: