Friday 28 March 2014

Marriage - a beautiful picture

Marriage - A wonderful illustration

“For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. – Ephesians 5.31-33

I love this picture. I love the imagery of husband and wife and marriage and how it all pictures the relationship between Christ and His church. I am still a little old fashioned. I believe  marriage is for life. I realise divorce happens and understand the sadness, but I believe God's plan is for one man to marry one woman, that they become one, and that they stay married 'till death do they part.'

I don't apologise for that. I think that is what the Bible teaches and I think there us a reason we can often overlook.

Marriage is a mysterious picture of Christ and the church.

Marriage is forever because the relationship between Christ is forever. Marriage is not disposable because our relationship with Christ is not disposable.

In the real world of real trouble and real people marriages break down, even Christian marriages. But that is not God's way. God's way is that the martial bonds illustrate the bonds of salvation.

That is why it is so important that those considering marriage don't rush into it and realise the enormity of the import of their decision.


Even in these days of confusion and disarray and questioning the church is still designed to illustrate Christ and the church. Let eacj of do our part to show the world what Christ is like through our marriages. 

No comments: