Monday 21 April 2014

A strait betwixt two

In a strait betwixt the two

But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard- pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better. Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you.- Philippians 1.22-24

Paul didn’t know quite what to want. He said he was in a ‘strait betwixt two’ but it was a sort of win-win strait to be in – at least from his perspective.

He thought that he might very well die as a result of his imprisonment and court hearing. That was okay; in fact he was looking forward to dying and going to be with Christ. That was the better thing. And I can certainly understand that. Sometimes I can wish that the day was here and Jesus would just let me come on home.

On the other hand Paul might not die. He might me left to live and serve and minister has he had been. He knew that that was best for the believers.

Can you imagine the frustration his accusers must have had in dealing with him? They had no power over him. Whether he lived or died he would win.

I wish I could have that kind of attitude toward life. Paul was literally facing a life or death situation – bur he still know that he was going to win either way. May I strive for that kind of spirit in my life. 

No comments: