Saturday 26 April 2014

Others

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.  – Philippians 2.3-4

Here is another challenge for us that goes totally against the way of things as they are in the world today. So much of the world has to do with ‘it’s all about me.’

But what if we took these simple guidelines and applied them to our lives?

Don't do anything through your selfish ambition
Don't be guided by conceit
Let lowliness of mind dominate your thinking
See others as more important than yourself
Don't only worry about your own interests
Think about the interests of others

This is hard because

I tend to be selfish
I tend to conceit
I tend to haughtiness
I tend to see myself as the most important one around
I tend to be more concerned about my own things than others

When I act this way I choose the desires and wants and yearnings of my flesh over the direction and leading of the Holy Spirit. I should be walking after the Spirit and not after the flesh. When I look at that list three things stand out - self, self, and self.


If we are going to really serve kind with a united mind of Christ we must be willing to sacrifice self for Christ and for others. 

Life is not all about us. 

No comments: