Wednesday 9 April 2014

The sword of the Spirit

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; - Ephesians 6.17

The last piece of armour is not really armour at all - but a weapon. However it is a close range weapon and may be used on the offensive or on the defensive.

And that is a fitting description of the sword of the Spirit – the word of God.

In another place the word of God is described as sharper than a double edged sword and it is powerful and sharp enough and that it piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Our sword of the Spirit will protect us when needed and it will let us go on the offensive when we need it.

My problem is that I too often set out to battle with my puny little wooden sword instead of the sharp and powerful sword of the Spirit. Or I am like Mickey Mouse in 'The Brave Little Tailor' setting out to fight the giant with a sewing needle.


I am not equipped for the spiritual warfare with my own little feeble weapons. I am useless when it comes to the fight. Too many times I have relied on my own wisdom and words and worth and too often I have failed. Why do I keep going to war with my own foolish weapons when I have the most mighty weapon of all at my disposal? 

No comments: