Wednesday 23 April 2014

Worthy conduct

Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, - Philippians 1.27

'Let you conduct be worthy of the gospel.' 

Just reading that is an incredible test. How can I conduct myself in such a way that is anywhere near worth of what Christ has done for me? What can I do to show myself worthy? I can't imagine what I could do compared to what He did for me. 

Here are two things we can do. 

Stand fast in the Spirit
Strive together for the faith of the gospel. 

Standing and striving in unity are things we can do to conduct ourselves properly. I don't know that we can ever do anything that is worthy of Christ. He gave His all for me. He made a sacrifice that I can't make. I am going to fall short at times. I am going to fail, but do I generally live a worthy life? 

Both of the things Paul talks about here require effort. Both require a putting away of self for the cause of Christ. The gospel required sacrifice so walking worthy requires sacrifice on my part. That means that I stand and stirve with others even when the there is a cost. 

May my conduct today and everyday reflect what the gospel means to me. 

No comments: