Saturday 17 May 2014

A personal note

Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved. I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.  – Philippians 4.1-3

One thing I like about Paul's letters is that they are just that - letters. These are communications with local churches and the people in those churches. The letters have been preserved for us because people don't really change and the problems and issues we face today are nothing new. Because people are people we can learn lessons from nearly 2000 years ago.

Euodia and Syntyche were ladies in the church in Philippi. (I realise there is a debate about whether or not they were ladies, but that's what I think so we are going to go with that.)

These two ladies had a problem. Something, who knows what, had arisen and it caused them to be at odds with each other. It is so important that Paul mentions them by name and 2000 years on we still know Euodia and Syntyche as the Philippian ladies who had a quarrel. Paul said to tell them to 'be of one mind' and to help them sort things out. 

I think the lesson for us is clear. It is not only major church divisions that need to be dealt with. Even little personal spats need correction. Huge fights and divisions and even church splits normally start with two people who have an issue they don’t deal with.


If any of us are involved in a situation like Euodia and Syntyche now is the day to deal with it. We need to be of the same mind as each brother and sister in Christ. Let’s be sure that we don’t let the little divisions slip in. By God’s grace may we be of one mind with our own Euodia or Syntyche. 

No comments: