Friday 2 May 2014

God working in you

God works in you

for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. - Philippians 2.13

Yesterday we saw that each of us has a responsibility to 'work out our won salvation with fear and trembling.' That is our part - we have a work to do. We can't just coast along.

But there is more to it than that. It is not just us. It is not even primarily us. We don’t work out our salvation in our own power.

And that is a good thing because if we did I think most of us would be in big trouble.

‘It is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.’

Every day I make a choice, many of them actually. Am I going to seek to gratify my flesh by acting in my flesh or am I going to please God by acting in His power?

Far too often I choose the former – despite the fact that I have the omnipotent creator of the universe working in me.

It is no more I that lives, but Christ lives in me.
The life that I now live I live by faith in the Son of God.
It is God that works in me.
Don’t you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you?

The wonderful truth is that while I fight the good fight and while I endure hardness as a good soldier I do so by the power of God who is working in my life.


Can you imagine the mess we would make of things if we tried to do it alone? 

No comments: