Saturday 14 June 2014

Nailed to the cross

having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. – Colossians 2.14-15

All I can say here is 'wow!'

We are made alive with Christ. He has forgiven our sins. He wiped out the requirements of the Law. He took it all out of the way and it was nailed to the cross. He has disarmed principalities and powers. We made a public spectacle of all these things - and He won.

I love good, solid, truth filled hymns. I like a lot of them. I posted the lyrics to "Complete in Thee' a couple of days ago. But if I had to pick my favourite stanza of my favourite hymn it would be these words:

'My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought, my sin, not in part but the whole, is NAILED TO THE CROSS AND I BEAR IT NO MORE. Bless the Lord, bless the Lord oh my soul.'

I have a hard time expressing the impact this has on me. When we sing this in church I am incapable of singing this particular verse. When I think about the fact that all of my sins were nailed to the cross, all of them, I am overwhelmed with gratitude.

I wish I was an artist. I have a vague idea in my head of a painting that could depict what I see when I think of this truth. I see Jesus on the cross. On one side of the cross, pinned under Jesus wrist, is a paper with MY SINS written on it. On the other side a paper with THE LAW. Both are being covered over with the blood of Christ.

When I think about the depths of my sin I am astounded that not in part but in whole are nailed to cross along with the Law. Because my sins are nailed to the cross I know that the penalty for sin has been paid. Because the Law is nailed to the cross I am not bound by it.

Praise God that they are put away and that I am now longer weighed down by those burdens!


Oh the bliss of this glorious thought! 

No comments: