Saturday 28 June 2014

Songs, and hymns, and spiritual songs

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  – Colossians 3.16

One of the things I love the most about church is the music. In our church I lead the music so we dont have the most dynamic or exciting or even quality music programme. I am glad that the Bible says we are to make a joyful noise to the Lord. But I still like the singing in church. Rarely does a service go by that I am not blessed by some aspect of our song service.

God's people have always been singers. I am sure there are songs mentioned before it, but the first song I can think of is the great song of victory after the crossing of the Red Sea. 'I will sing to the Lord, For He has triumphed gloriously! The horse and its rider He has thrown into the sea! The Lord is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him.'

From then on songs run through the scriptures. We have an entire song book preserved in the word of God.

When singing is this important to God it is be pretty clear that singing is important to us. It is important that we do it properly. And God's word tells us how to do that. 

Singing has a real purpose. It is not just an add on. It is not just to entertain us or even to stir our emotions or get us in the mood to worship. In the world music indeed sets the mood, but in the church singing has a different purpose. Singing begins with grace in our hearts and it is singing to the Lord. As we come together, with the word of God dwelling in our hearts and the grace of God singing out to God, our singing does something for each other. Its purpose is for us to teach and admonish each other in our songs and hymns and spiritual songs.

Singing should not just excite us and set the mood for the preaching - singing should teach. Theology should express itself in song. I saw a Facebook posting yesterday quoting J.I. Packer - 'Any theology that does not lead to song is, at a fundamental level, flawed theology'

I love songs that express the theology that enforces our preaching and that is the key to music. We may differ in our choice of styles, but the question is whether or not our singing is teaching and admonishing each other.

I have so many examples in my mind that it is hard to choose one. But here is an example of what I consider a teaching and admonishing hymn.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea.
A great high Priest whose Name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in Heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Saviour died
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of glory and of grace,
One in Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Saviour and my God!

I cannot help but be stirred in my heart when I even read this hymn. The theology is sound and edifying and it shows the grace of God that lives in my heart.


I realise that we are always going to have our songs that are simply intended to lift us up a bit and to encourage us. However, I think it is vital that our theology is reflected in our songs and that our songs are based on our theology. To me, at least, that is biblical singing that builds the church. 

No comments: