Saturday 12 July 2014

Not as pleasing men

But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts. For neither at any time did we use flattering words, as you know, nor a cloak for covetousness—God is witness. Nor did we seek glory from men, either from you or from others, when we might have made demands as apostles of Christ. – 1 Thessalonians 2.4-6

The temptation to please men can be a huge problem. It is tempting to please men because we like to be liked. No one likes to incur man’s displeasure. To some extent all of us are people pleasers. It is nice to be popular. I don't think anyone really likes to be alone or totally unpopular.

In our Christian circles we can be especially fearful of being out of favour. I hate to admit it, but there have been times in my life when I was so fearful of the opinions of men that I have made decisions more influenced by them than what God would have had me do.

Paul would not be pressured by men and their opinions. He was not pressured by their expectations. He wouldn’t say the right things or do the right things in order to get men to support him or get on his side.

But he was concerned with what God wanted from him. He knew that while men might test his actions God tested his heart.

While I don’t want to offend anyone and must be sensitive to others, my only really motive is to do what God wants me to do. He is the only one I need to please.

Who am I going to try and make happy? Will it be God or will it be man?


Paul had his priorities right. Do we? 

No comments: