Friday 29 August 2014

Pray for them

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. - 1 Timothy 2.1-2

I love politics. I love a good political squabble. I love a good debate. I like the intrigue and the the bantering. I even like to criticise those whose politics aren't the same as mine - especially when they are in power.

I love it, and used to do it all the time - but something has changed in my heart over the last several years. For the last few years I have become concerned that we as Christians can really miss the boat when it comes to how to deal with those who run things, for all men - but also for kings and all those who are in authority.

I don’t know how bad it actually is, but from what I see on Facebook and  Christian forums it seems that American Christians are more focused on attacking and mocking and deriding the president and even calling him childish names.

Try as I might, and as much as I would like to excuse myself when I do it, that kind of action and that kind of speaking simply can’t be justified. Sure, leaders are open to polite and decent and respectful criticism; that is our right as citizens of our countries.

But there does not appear to be any excuse for being ugly or disrespectful or childish. We ought to replace that with supplications and prayers and intercessions and giving of thanks.

Our leaders are worthy of our respect and our prayers, even when we disagree with them and even when they do things we don’t like. When we give in to that kind of stuff we are taking our model from the world – not from Christ.


I wonder which is more powerful, our prayers or our attacks? 

No comments: