Sunday 7 September 2014

Flee youthful lusts

Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. – 2 Timothy 2.22

‘Flee youthful lust.’

How clear can that be? It doesn’t require a theology degree or a DVD series or a YouTube recording or a Facebook group to get that one. Just simply flee youthful lusts. As a kid’s songs put’s it ‘put on your running shoes mate!’

The injunction to 'flee youthful lusts' is especially important because sadly those youthful lusts can last a lot longer than youth. Youth, middle aged, and even older folks are affected by those youthful lusts all through their lives.

I think most of us - even people as old as me - recognise when those lusts first make their appearance. We know that little twinge of appeal. We know the draw. We know that little bit of excitement. I know myself that there are more times than I like to admit when I hang around to see just how far I can go before I cross the line.

But, do you what God has to say about it in one little word?

Here you go.

Are you ready?

RUN!!!!!!!

Did you get that? Change the channel, close the book, put down your phone, close the laptop, turn off the modem, do whatever it takes.


RUN!!!!!!!

Don't linger. Don't look back. Don't hesitate. 

RUN!!!!!!

No comments: