Tuesday 30 September 2014

The grace of God has appeared

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. – Titus 2.11-14

I know I say this a lot, but this is one of my favourite passages of scripture. There is a lot packed into these four verses. Not the least of these is the phrase ‘the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.’ I am almost tempted to break that phrase down into two or three thoughts all by itself.

But the ‘grace of God that brings salvation to all me has appeared’ needs to be considered all by itself.

The grace of God – that amazing grace that Newton wrote about – has appeared. We couldn’t create it, stir it up, or make it appear. Where would we be in God's amazing grace that brings salvation had not appeared? We would be lost and without hope in this world.

Praise God that His amazing grace salvation appeared  to all men – including me.

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
and mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.


--John Newton, 1725-1807

No comments: