Saturday 15 November 2014

On the other hand

" For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God." - Hebrews 7:18-19

On the one hand the Jews in the Old Testament did have some hope. Their hope was in fulfilling the Law that God had given them on Mt Sinai. When we look at it there really isn’t much ‘hope’ there because people learned pretty quickly that they could not keep the Law and therefore there was just a ‘I hope I am good enough attitude.’ And in that there really is not much hope. 

The hope in the Law was weak and unprofitable. It could not make anything perfect. 

But, on the other hand, there is a better hope. 

On the other hand, there is a bringing in of a better hope. And through that hope and that hope alone we draw near to God. 

That hope is the assured hope that cannot fail. Our hope is in Christ and in Him alone. If my hope were in my works or my spirituality I would be in a mess. It would surely fail. But with my hope in the sinless Christ it can never fail. That is my anchor. 

I have to go to an old song again to express my thoughts about my hope this morning. 

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus Christ, my righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

 On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
 All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
In Him, my righteousness, alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

No comments: